Friday, March 3, 2017

Audiobook Mini Review: Echoes in Death by J.D. Robb

Series:     In Death #44
Pub. Date:Feb. 7, 2017
Narrator:Susan Ericksen
Publisher:Brilliance Audio
Length:13 hrs 43 min

You really can never go wrong with Eve and Roarke, so I'm finding myself at a loss for what to say in this review! This is one of the longstanding series that I prefer to do in audio because I love the narrator and the story is always engaging enough to hold my interest. 

In this installment, Eve is after a serial rapist and killer who is targeting married couples for his brutal attacks. While I was able to guess the villain earlier in this book than others, I still found myself engrossed in the plot. The victims were super sympathetic, particularly Daphne Strazza, the battered wife of an egotistical pediatric surgeon. Her life seemed so sad that you just really hated to see her suffering and attacked by a madman. The victims and crime in this story seemed to hit Eve a little harder than some of the others, and I enjoyed seeing her vulnerable side coming out more easily these days. Thinking back to Naked in Death, Eve has had so much personal growth over the series and it always surprises me that she continues to grow and evolve after the 44th book.

This story was light on the secondary characters. While Peabody and Roarke played large parts as usual, we only saw very small parts from Dr. Mira, McNab, Rio and Feeney. With such great secondary characters, I like it when they have big roles in the story.

Aside from the main plot, I love having all of the smaller details. Roarke and Eve have completed the renovation of her office and their bedroom, and I like the changes and Eve's reactions to them. This story also takes place in Feburary prior to Valentine's Day... so we got a little of Eve's exasperation and humor toward holidays. I love the way she freaks out about picking clothes and gifts. Her pragmatism usually elicits a chuckle or two from me as I listen.

If you haven't read this series, come on out from under that rock. I promise you will fall in love with the delectable Roarke, and shed a few tears over Eve and her tragic past.


No comments:

Post a Comment