Wednesday, February 15, 2017

ARC Review: Blogger Girl by Meredith Schorr

Series:     Blogger Girl #1
Re-Release Date:Feb. 14, 2017
Publisher:Henery Press
Length:268 pages
Source:NetGalley

I don't read enough chick lit these days - not for lack of enjoyment, but just because I don't see as many ARCs in this genre cross my radar. I will admit that the title of this one piqued my interest first, and then the synopsis pulled me right in. I think all blogger girls will find something to relate to in this story.

Kimberly Long is a pint-sized blogger girl in the city, working as a legal secretary by day and running her book blog, Pastel is the New Black. I have to say that I am envious of her petite stature, fashion choices, and large blog following! Once I learned that Kim worked as a legal secretary, our connection was locked in place. Despite not being pint-sized myself, I related to Kim on multiple levels. From our shared shoe lust, to the book blog, to having worked as a paralegal for 8 years before I became an attorney - we definitely had a lot in common and I think I could see her as a member of my girl posse (if I were ten years younger). I felt like Kim was somewhat immature to be a 28 year old professional and she started to make me feel older than I am. Don't get me wrong - I am not at all a serious person and can be borderline ridiculous... but I felt like the way Kim was approaching her office crush and ensuing relationship, and some of her insecurities, seemed immature or the actions of a younger adult. 

I enjoyed reading about the blog activities and Kim's legal work, and even Kim's budding romance with her co-worker, Nicholas. The romance wasn't the main focus of the story however... what overshadowed much of the story for me was the mean girl mentality of the women in this story. Kim and her best friend Bridget were not in the popular crowd in high school, but more than ten years later they are still caught up in the catty toxic drama of high school girls. With a high school reunion approaching, Kim and Bridget must deal with their old nemesis, Hannah, with her back-handed compliments, and fake sympathy designed to embarrass the subject of her attention. Then at the office, Kim has to deal with a bitter and condescending attorney who belittles her personally and professionally. So there was definitely a lot of we wear pink on Wednesdays mentality happening here, and it really made me thankful that I do not have this kind of drama in my life these days. I have experienced my share of this toxicity in the past, and being reminded of it made me very thankful for my current professional circumstances. Because if I was Kim, I would not have been able to refrain from hitting one of these witches with my size 6 Christian Louboutin. (Note - I don't know that she wears a size 6, but I imagine her feet are just as tiny as her 4'11" self.)

If I would have read this book at another time, I think I would have enjoyed it more. This is going to sound silly - but I found this story to be too realistic! There was nothing out of the ordinary that occurred with this book so I found it to be realistic fiction. Kim's life, relationship and even her frenemies were run-of-the-mill folks... relatable but not very exciting. Why was this a problem for me? I am tired y'all. I am experiencing some heavy political fatigue. I'm tired of all the fighting and drama... so I am looking to books these days for escapism. I don't want to read (or watch) stories about real life - I need a magical talking unicorn carrying a knight in shining armor! The frenemy drama also got to me... I see drama llamas every time I scroll social media or turn on the news. Calgon, take me away! So I think if I would have read this a year ago (or maybe a year from now)... it would have been a solid 4 stars. I have no qualms with the writing or character development or plot. But my ratings are based on how a book makes me feel, and I found myself annoyed a good amount of time with this book. Annoyed at Kim's immaturity and annoyed at the catty female behavior. The rest was fine and good, so I think that my enjoyment has more to do with my mindset than the book. So I will definitely pick up the next installment, Novelista Girl, when my drama tolerance has risen back to normal levels. 

In closing, I would recommend this book to fans of realistic fiction, chick lit and to all my fellow book blogger girls. I voluntarily reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the publisher, Henery Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment