Friday, November 24, 2017

Audiobook Review: Ice Planet Barbarians by Ruby Dixon

Series:     Ice Planet Barbarians #1
Pub. Date:Nov. 21, 2017
Publisher:Tantor Audio
Narrators:Hollie Jackson
Mason Lloy
Length:5 hrs 51 min
Source:Publisher

So I'm not a huge reader of science fiction - I just had not found the stories that were that good mix of fun, romance and implausibility to hold my interest. But I have been hearing about the Ice Planet Barbarians for months and months now, and I wanted to give them a shot. However, between the move and work, I just haven't been able to fit the print books into my reading schedule. So I am super excited that Tantor Audio has picked up this series in audio so I can listen to a little alien action while I'm working around the house on the weekend. These big blue barbarians sure made my day of meal prep more interesting! And I am definitely a fan of this series, and it has made me more willing to consider other science fiction reads in the future. (Bonus - as of the date of this review, the ebooks are available on Kindle Unlimited.)

These are short reads so I don't want to go too in depth regarding the plot and spoil anything in the process. Just know that a bunch of young women have been kidnapped from their homes on Earth and wake up at the mercy of cruel aliens. Fortunately for the captives, they end up stranded on an Ice Planet.

The captive heroine of this first installment is Georgie, a sassy southern girl from Orlando. She becomes the default leader of the cadre women when she refuses to accept her situation lying down. Georgie was gutsy and brave, and I liked that she accepted her situation and rolled with it. I also liked that she wasn't a total kickass chick, but neither was she a damsel. She was just an ordinary girl, kidnapped from her ordinary world, who found herself in an extraordinary place. I liked Georgie quite a bit, though I think Liz may overtake her as favorite heroine of the series once I get to her book. I thought Hollie Jackson, the narrator, did a great job with Georgie's character. I liked the southern sass that Hollie injected into Georgie, even though I don't typically think of Floridians as Southern.

Our Ice Planet Barbarian is Vektal, chief of his tribe, and a big blue alien with horns, tail, ridges and suede-like skin. Vektal's small tribe is slowing dying off due to a lack of females on their lonely planet, and he couldn't quite believe his luck when he encountered a strange female that made his "khui" resonate (think "fated mate" situation). Vektal and his kind are all about mating, and they cherish and spoil their females. So right off the bat Vektal caters to Georgie's every whim, even when they don't quite understand one another. And Vektal's interesting attributes and abilities certainly peaked Georgie's interest and made for some interesting sexytimes. Mason

This story is not one to make you think, its pure 100% smutty fun entertainment. There isn't a completed storyline, but instead I think we will see a continuing series arc as our humans adjust to the alien planet and tribe. I love the world building and the creatures that Dixon has created. Every aspect got my imagination going and trying to create a picture in my head of what I was listening to. I was sad when the book was over in less than 6 hours! I had more chores to do, dang it!

While I am tempted to jump into the next installment in the ebook format... I think in this instance I will let the anticipation build and wait for the next audiobook. I think the aliens are being portrayed well in audio, probably better than I could do in my head. So I'm going to stick with this format.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the publisher, Tantor Audio.

Purchase Links


Ice Planet Barbarians


No comments:

Post a Comment