Wednesday, February 7, 2018

ARC Review: A Devil in Scotland by Suzanne Enoch

Series:     No Ordinary Hero #3
Pub. Date:Jan. 30, 2018
Publisher:St. Martin's Press
Length:320 pgs
Source:NetGalley


I started this book when I was sitting on an airplane last week (right before I got the dreaded flu from one or more plague passengers), and I had to put it down. The prologue made me feel a bit like I was missing the backstory, so I was worried that this was not a series that you could read out of order. However, I gave it another shot today and I read it in one sitting! For anyone else who hasn't read the earlier books... you are fine reading the series out of order. The prologue confused me at first because you come into the story in the middle of an argument. But that was cleared up and I understood the structure once I got to the first chapter (which takes place 10 years after the prologue).


We first meet Callum McCreath in Inverness as a hot-headed and somewhat irresponsible young man as he is getting disowned from clan and kin, and hies off to America with only the clothes on his back. Now its 10 years later and Callum has become an absolutely captivating man. After building his life in the wilds of Kentucky, Callum has become capable, dangerous, and braw. When his brother is murdered, Callum arrives back in Scotland seeking to fulfill a vow of vengeance for those that have wronged his family, whoever they may be. I totally loved Callum. I had not one complaint or thing that I would change about his character. He has grown into a hard-working and fair man who seems to be a natural leader. I liked his business acumen and willingness to get his hands dirty or anything else that his business may require.

Rebecca Sanderson grew up swimming and climbing trees with the McCreath brothers, Ian and Callum. While she was closer to Callum, she made the safe bet for her future and decided to marry his older brother, Ian. After Ian's death, Becca certainly did not want Callum found or interfering in her life or plans. I had a really hard time liking this heroine. I didn't like how she treated Callum, and I thought she came off as somewhat cold and unemotional. She also seemed to be naive and played the ostrich when it came to her husband's mysterious death. I did thaw toward her as the story progressed, but she didn't do a lot to endear herself to me. I know some of this is likely my tendency to be a heroine hater... but also she was just really overshadowed by Callum. 

I don't mind the hero overshadowing the heroine in this instance, because I just enjoyed Callum that much. The relationship between the two unfolded slowly over the course of the story. This isn't the first time I've read a story involving a relationship between a hero and his brother's widow... and they can be a hard sell sometimes. I didn't like Becca and Ian together, and do feel like she was a better match with Callum. It was just hard to get over the hurt feelings with how Ian and Becca treated a young Callum, and I got wrapped up in his resentment and hurt.

I absolutely loved Ian and Becca's daughter, Margaret. She was a precocious and endearing child, and she added a heartening aspect to the story. The whole pack aspect was a nice touch, particularly with Callum bringing his wolf with him everywhere.

I got sucked into Callum's investigation more than the actual romance, so I sometimes found myself chasing the mystery more than the love story. This was a great storyline and really helped to advance the plot. I'm glad I gave this book another shot.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the publisher, St. Martin's Press.

Purchase Links


No comments:

Post a Comment