Monday, January 1, 2018

ARC Review: Heart on Fire by Amanda Bouchet

Series:     Kingmaker Chronicles #3
Pub. Date:Jan 2, 2018
Publisher:Sourcebooks Casablanca
Length:448 pages
Source:NetGalley

The Kingmaker Chronicles has been packed full of action and sensuality, and is one of my favorite series over the past year. This riveting conclusion is how I rang in the new year, and it was somewhat bittersweet to know that the series is ending so soon.

In Breath of Fire, we saw Catalia "Cat" Fisa, mature as a character and start to accept her fate as future queen of Thalyria. In Heart on Fire, Cat continues to realize what the gods intended by imbuing her with their power and setting her on the path to become a savior of Thalyria. I liked that Cat was continuously humbled by everyone's belief in her and support of her power bid. I also thought that the touch of vulnerability in Cat when it came to her relationship with Griffin helped humanize her, and soften the edges of our kickass heroine.

Griffin seemed to take more of a backseat in the conclusion. He is not the main character of the series, but he has fallen into more of a supportive and loving role for our heroine. I love that Griffin allows Cat to wield her own power, but that he doesn't let her cow him or run roughshod over the relationship. Griffin is also incredibly demanding in their intimate relationship and takes charge when its most exciting. Yum!

Our team's journey is culminating in the final and most dangerous fight of all - the one against Cat's sadistic and power-mad mother. Before Cat will be able to match and exceed her mother's power, she will have to accept and trust herself and stop feeling guilt over things in the past. Griffin was instrumental on Cat's journey to self-acceptance and I loved how supportive he was, yet knew when to push her when she was getting in her own way. I really enjoyed the appearance of all the various gods in this final installment, including the revelations of the roles that they played in Cat's life.

I somewhat felt like the ending was a bit rushed... however I think that is only because I am sad that the series is ending. I was trying to stretch things out in my mind and the end was just rushing at me. I do hope that Amanda Bouchet will continue the world in some way, perhaps in a spinoff. Cat's sister, Ianthe, is screaming for her own story to be told along side her new companion (who I will not mention to avoid spoilers).

If you are a fantasy romance fan, I definitely recommend that you pick up this series. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book from the publisher, Sourcebooks Casablanca.


Purchase Links


Kingmaker Chronicles


No comments:

Post a Comment