Friday, August 4, 2017

Audiobook Review: Slouch Witch by Helen Harper

Series:     Lazy Girls Guide
to Magic #1
Pub. Date:July 11, 2017
Publisher:Tantor Audio
Narrator:Tanya Eby
Length:8 hrs 9 min
Source:Publisher

Slouch Witch is the first book in the series, the Lazy Girls Guide to Magic. The series title and blurb sucked me in for this story - I thought it would be a cute and light-hearted read. I was right! 

Slouch Witch takes place somewhere in Great Britain (London, I think but can't quite remember), and revolves around the lives of witches. Most witches are members of the sanctified Order, and they all have their own feline familiar. Our heroine, Ivy Wild, bucks convention and got herself kicked out of the Order for cheating and assault, and now makes her living by driving a taxi. Between a very vocal familiar and her lackadaisical outlook on life, Ivy definitely marches to the beat of her own drum. I thought her laid back attitude and lazy genius were endearing, and I found her character to be fun and entertaining.

Raphael Winter comes into Ivy's life by mistake, and she is thrust into his orbit as investigator for the Arcane Division of the Order. Winter is uptight and serious, and is in turns exasperated and impressed by Ivy. We follow the pair as they somewhat bumble their way through an investigation into missing artifacts and murder. Along the way, Ivy's true potential is revealed and our investigative duo grow closer together. While this is not a romance, nor does it have much steam, there was definitely the hint of a budding relationship between our main characters.

The world building was light and fun. You are basically operating in an urban setting with minor magical abilities thrown in. My favorite secondary character was actually Ivy's rudely talkative feline. The plot was uncomplicated and had the feel of a cozy mystery. Overall, it was a good way to pass the time as I cleaned the house. I will continue on with the series when I'm in the mood for light, fun reads.

My only hangup with the audiobook was the narration. This book is set in the UK, yet our narrator didn't provide us any delightful accents to please our ear. For the most part, all the characters sounded Midwestern American with a few "arses" thrown in here or there. I would have liked the British aspect have been played up a bit more. Other than that, the narrator did a good job conveying our heroine's carefree attitude, and she differentiated between characters well.

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the publisher, Tantor Audio.

No comments:

Post a Comment