|Series:||Veronica Speedwell #2|
|Pub. Date:||Jan. 10, 2017|
An intriguing mystery, a colorful cast of suspects, and our charming duo of amateur detectives made A Perilous Undertaking a smashing good read!
What I found appealing:
1) Veronica and Stoker don't fit with the times and are unique characters.
2) The connection between these two is phenomenal.
3) Their banter is loaded with everything from sarcastic wit and not-so-innocent flirtation to cerebral conversations that made my brain curl.
4) The cast of characters were fascinating yet confounding with their thought processes on select matters. Never a dull moment to be found.
What I really want to know: When will Veronica and Stoker finally get together?!!
What bugged me:
1) The mystery started out slower than I expected BUT it was much more organized than the first book.
2) The secondary character's names drove me nuts. They were quite the mouthful to pronounce.
3) Occasionally conversations were so overboard with colorful vocabulary it seemed forced.
I've been dying to get my hands on this book since the end of A Curious Beginning! Raybourn writes strong female protagonists I simply adore reading about. Veronica and Stoker are a unique duo for the times and that's the exciting appeal for me to read this series. Happily, Veronica and Stoker's latest adventure did not disappoint! Definitely recommend for historical mystery fans.
I won an ARC from Penguin House Sweepstakes.