Tuesday, November 1, 2016

ARC Review: Tartans and Trysts by Victoria Roberts

Pub. Date:Nov 1, 2016
Publisher:Knight Media
Length:456 pages
Source:Victoria Roberts

This review is for Tartans and Trysts, the novella in this collection by Victoria Roberts. In the interest of disclosure, I am a member of the Bad Girls of the Highlands, the street team for Victoria Roberts. I received an advanced review copy of this novella.

I was quite surprised that the heroine of this novella is Sorcha Gunn, who was such a vile character in Kilts and Kisses. It's probably a good thing that I couldn't remember exactly what her poor behavior entailed in the prior book, because it may have prevented me from liking her character in this story. It seems like Sorcha has seen the error of her ways and has decided to redeem herself, which was definitely not easy. Sorcha had to go head to head with her family to right not only her wrongs, but their past misdeeds as well. I did not envy her, but I do think that she displayed a good amount of character growth and was able to redeem herself. 

The hero in this story is Doughall, captain of Laird Mackay's guard. He seems to be the only one who didn't think Sorcha was a heartless witch. I liked that Doughall stood up to everyone and told them they needed to stop treating Sorcha like she was the devil incarnate. I would have liked to spend more time with his character though, the story was a bit lopsided as it took place more from Sorcha's POV.

As a novella, there was not much time to build up the relationship. Our couple fell in love over the course of a few brief encounters. That being said, I liked them together. Doughall was a good match for Sorcha, and with the personal growth she experienced, I think she was ready for a mature relationship. The battle between Sorcha and her father was well-written and helped advance the story in the absence of romantic encounters.

I haven't read the other books of this anthology, but will update my review once the anthology is released and I get my hands on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment