Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Kindle Unlimited Review: Take the Money and Run by Samantha A. Cole

Series:     Malone Bros. #1
Pub. Date:June 9, 2016
Publisher:Self-Pub
Length:199 pages
Source:Kindle Unlimited

Take the Money and Run is a new romantic suspense series by Samantha A. Cole, whom you may know from the steamy Trident Security series. This new series is not quite so erotic, it lacks the BDSM elements, so may appeal more to mainstream romance readers.

I believe this series will focus on the three Malone Brothers - all current or former military.  From KC Malone, the Navy SEAL, to Brian Malone, the Sheriff, to Sean Malone, the FBI Agent - there is sure to be plenty of alpha male goodness to keep your interest. KC Malone comes home to the tiny beach town of Whisper, North Carolina to find a tiny auburn-haired dynamo half-nekkid and pointing a gun at him when he enters his uncle's house at 2am. 

Said dynamo is the terrified but determined Moriah Jensen, who is on the run from drug kingpins in Chicago. Having just lost her family in a horribly gruesome scene, Moriah Jensen is masquerading as Maura Jennings in small towns between Chicago and the east coast in an attempt to elude the bad guys and corrupt cops after her. Luckily for her, Moriah/Maura finds herself in Whisper, NC and smackdab in the middle of the Malone family.

I loved Uncle Dan Malone, collector of strays and matchmaker extraordinaire. I think he was my favorite character of the story.  KC was a good alpha hero, definitely a take-charge type with an abundance of sex on the brain. I wasn't as crazy about Moriah/Maura - her character annoyed me at times for some reason that I can't quite put my finger on.

This is a short book so you are going from your first meeting to I Love You within a few weeks time. It didn't feel too much like instalove though - the relationship built over a couple of encounters and dates. I felt like there was some chemistry missing in this book... the sexytimes seemed a bit crass. Maybe that was my mood at the time I was reading - but I just didn't find them to be as sexy as what we saw from the Trident Security series.

The suspense elements were well done and detailed - but I wouldn't expect anything less from Ms. Cole as former law enforcement. I think I liked the suspense aspects, plan and execution better than the romance. The next book focuses on Sean, the FBI Agent. So I look forward to what kind of trouble he is going to find himself in.

There were a couple of editing issues in this one. Nothing horrible but it could have used another pass through with a proofreader. This book was available on Kindle Unlimited as of July 11, 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment